Grand National 2023 Gets 85 Entries
The 175th edition of the Grand National, which is scheduled to take place on April 15th, 2023 at Aintree Racecourse, is quickly approaching, and the focus is now on the entries.
This year, there are 85 entries, and one of the most notable is Noble Yeats, trained by Emmet Mullins, who is looking to retain his crown after winning the race last year.
However, he could also take his chances with a trip to the Cheltenham Gold Cup, which may impact his chances.
Of the 85 entries, 54 are trained in Ireland, with Gordon Elliott having the largest number of entries, a whopping 21 horses, including Galvin, Conflated, and Fury Road. Delta Work from Gordon Elliott, who finished third last year, is also expected to compete.
Any Second Now, who finished third in 2021 and second in 2022, is returning for his third shot at the title, while Fiddlerontheroof, who finished fifth last year, has also been given another entry.
Henry De Bromhead, the trainer of 2021 winner Minella Times, has six entries this year, including Envoi Allen, Ain’t That A Shame, and Chris’s Dream. Rachael Blackmore, who rode Minella Times to victory, will have the opportunity to choose which horse to ride.
Other notable entries include Mister Coffey from Nicky Henderson and Hewick from JJ Hanlon. The Two Amigos, who finished second in the 2022 Welsh Grand National, has been given an entry, while the estate of the late Trevor Hemmings has entered Cloudy Glen in the race.
JP McManus and Gigginstown are two of the biggest owners in National Hunt Racing, and they have entered eight and ten horses, respectively, for the Grand National.
Full List Of 2023 Grand National Entries
- Ain’t That A Shame (IRE) 9 Henry De Bromhead
- Any Second Now (IRE) 11 Ted Walsh
- Ashtown Lad 9 Dan Skelton
- Ash Tree Meadow (IRE) 7 Gordon Elliott
- A Wave Of The Sea (IRE) 7 Joseph Patrick O’Brien
- Back On The Lash 9 Martin Keighley
- Battleoverdoyen (IRE) 10 Gordon Elliott
- Born By The Sea (IRE) 9 Paul John Gilligan
- Burrows Saint (IRE) 10 WP Mullins
- Cape Gentleman (IRE) 7 John Joseph Hanlon
- Capodanno (IRE) 7 WP Mullins
- Captain Cattistock 10 Fergal O’Brien
- Captain Kangaroo (IRE) 8 WP Mullins
- Carefully Selected (IRE) 11 WP Mullins
- Chemical Energy (IRE) 7 Gordon Elliott
- Chris’s Dream (IRE) 11 Henry De Bromhead
- Cilaos Emery 11 Sophie Leech
- Cloudy Glen 10 Venetia Williams
- Coko Beach (IRE) 8 Gordon Elliott
- Conflated (IRE) 9 Gordon Elliott
- Corach Rambler 9 Lucinda Russell
- Darasso (IRE) 10 Joseph Patrick O’Brien
- Darrens Hope (IRE) 9 Robert Murphy
- Death Duty (IRE) 12 Gordon Elliott
- Defi Bleu (IRE) 10 Gordon Elliott
- Delta Work (IRE) 10 Gordon Elliott
- Diol Ker (IRE) 9 Noel Meade
- Dunboyne (IRE) 8 Gordon Elliott
- Enjoy D’allen (IRE) 9 Ciaran Murphy
- Envoi Allen (IRE) 9 Henry De Bromhead
- Escaria Ten (IRE) 9 Gordon Elliott
- Eva’s Oskar 9 Tim Vaughan
- Fakiera (IRE) 8 Gordon Elliott
- Fantastikas 8 Nigel Twiston-Davies
- Farclas (IRE) 9 Gordon Elliott
- Fiddlerontheroof 9 Joe Tizzard
- Fortescue 9 Henry Daly
- Francky Du Berlais 10 Peter Bowen
- Franco De Port (IRE) 8 WP Mullins
- Frontal Assault (IRE) 8 Gordon Elliott
- Fury Road (IRE) 9 Gordon Elliott
- Gabbys Cross (IRE) 8 Henry De Bromhead
- Gaillard Du Mesnil (IRE) 7 WP Mullins
- Ga Law 7 Jamie Snowden
- Galvin (IRE) 9 Gordon Elliott
- Gevrey (IRE) 7 Gordon Elliott
- Gin On Lime (IRE) 7 Henry De Bromhead
- Glamorgan Duke (IRE) 10 Paul John Gilligan
- Grumpy Charley 8 Chris Honour
- Happygolucky 9 Kim Bailey
- Hewick (IRE) 8 John Joseph Hanlon
- Hill Sixteen 10 Sandy Thomson
- Iwilldoit 10 Sam Thomas
- Le Milos 8 Dan Skelton
- Lifetime Ambition (IRE) 8 Mrs John Harrington
- Longhouse Poet (IRE) 9 Martin Brassil
- Lord Lariat (IRE) 8 Dermot A McLoughlin
- Milan Native (IRE) 10 Gordon Elliott
- Minella Crooner (IRE) 7 Gordon Elliott
- Minella Times (IRE) 10 Henry De Bromhead
- Minella Trump 9 Donald McCain
- Mister Coffey 8 Nicky Henderson
- Mortal (IRE) 11 Gordon Elliott
- Mr Incredible (IRE) 7 WP Mullins
- Nearly Perfect 9 Neil King
- Noble Yeats (IRE) 8 Emmet Mullins
- Our Power 8 Sam Thomas
- Pencilfulloflead (IRE) 9 Gordon Elliott
- Punitive (IRE) 9 Gordon Elliott
- Quick Wave 10 Venetia Williams
- Rapper 9 Henry Daly
- Recite A Prayer (IRE) 8 WP Mullins
- Remastered 10 David Pipe
- Riders Onthe Storm 10 Richard Hobson
- Roi Mage 11 Patrick Griffin
- Royale Pagaille 9 Venetia Williams
- Sam Brown 11 Anthony Honeyball
- Secret Reprieve 9 Evan Williams
- Sporting John 8 Philip Hobbs
- The Big Breakaway 8 Joe Tizzard
- The Big Dog (IRE) 10 Peter Fahey
- The Shunter (IRE) 10 Emmet Mullins
- Threeunderthrufive 8 Paul Nicholls
- Vanillier (IRE) 8 Gavin Cromwell
- Velvet Elvis (IRE) 7 Thomas Gibney
Next Stages For Grand National Runners
Over the next few weeks and months, the initial 85 entries will be whittled down to the final 40 horses that will take part in the race on April 15th, 2023 at Aintree Racecourse.
To be eligible for the Grand National, horses must have participated in a steeplechase during the current season and placed first, second, third, or fourth in a steeplechase with a distance description of “two miles seven and a half furlongs” or more at any time in their career.
Additionally, horses must have a BHA Handicapper rating of 125 or higher following a review of their entries and races run up to and including February 20th.
Horses must also have participated in at least three Steeple Chases under the Rules of Racing of the same Recognised Racing Authority up to and including February 20th to qualify. The Handicapper may allot a rating at their discretion.
Entries closed on February 7th with 85 entries, and the weights will be disclosed on February 21st, 2023.
The first deadline for scratchings is March 7th, with the second deadline being March 28th. The five-day confirmation stage will take place on April 11th, and the final declaration stage on April 14th.
To stay up to date with the latest odds and betting offers, check out the odds page, and for expert tips, be sure to check back closer to the race.
BET £20 AND GET IT BACK AS CASH IF IT LOSES
New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any market at odds of min 2.0 (EVS) and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. 18+ begambleaware.org. #ad. Please bet responsibly.